People have taken to the love locks idea so much that so-called ‘Love Bridges’ are now firmly on the tourist attractions list of every major city. Nothing gives a new phenomenon more validity than Wikipedia which defines it as follows:’ A love lock is a padlock which sweethearts lock to a bridge, fence, gate or similar public fixture to symbolize their love. Typically, the sweethearts’ names or initials are inscribed on the padlock, and its key is thrown away to symbolize unbreakable love.’
Assuming you were taken by the idea and wanted to go out and buy a lock to symbolise your undying love to your partner, you would want to invest in the best lock possible, would you not? If you actually look it up you will find that there are so many types it is actually very hard to know which one is best. Don’t worry, being the helpful chaps, we are, we have put together a quick lock guide for you:
- Padlocks: the only type of lock that is typically not permanently attached to anything else. Padlocks come in a range of sizes, are free standing and portable, and are one of the most easily recognizable types of lock.
- Knob Locks: frequently installed in residential situations on exterior doors in addition to deadbolts, and are sometimes used as the primary source of security for doors.
- Deadbolts: deadbolt or deadlock is a locking mechanism distinct from a spring bolt lock because deadbolt cannot be moved to the open position except by rotating the lock cylinder with the key.
- Simple door locks: Mortice locks, cylinder locks, nightlatches, closed, open and straight shackles are all types of locking mechanisms used on normal doors.
- Upgraded lock mechanisms: Many homes and offices have installed doors which offer additional security through a multi-point locking system. These are common on many patio and French doors as well as double glazing window units.
Got that? We hope we did not confuse you too much. If you want our advice on the best lock to use as a love lock, unless you want to take your door with you, we would recommend you use a padlock….
On a more serious note, Locksmith services are close to our heart as this is how we started out all these years ago. If you have any urgent requirements or indeed are looking at upgrading your security at home of the office, give us a call.
Categorised in: Locksmith services
This post was written by Express Property Services